Join Us March 8th for
the Business Expo
at Nippersink Middle School!
Winter Tips From
Natural Gas Winter Weather Tips
Posted: February 27, 2014
Have your chimney inspected
by a professional at least once a year and have it
cleaned if necessary. Always use a fire screen,
and burn only material appropriate for fireplaces.
Never burn trash or paper in a fireplace; burning paper
can float up your chimney and onto your roof or into
your yard. Remove ashes in a metal container.
Never store ashes in your home. Add wood to
fireplaces carefully; sparks can fly into the room while
the screen is open.
Before you light them, put
candles in non-tip candle holders. Never burn
candles near a Christmas tree or combustible decorations
or displays. Keep candles well away from curtains
and other combustibles, and never put candles in windows
or near exits. Don't leave candles burning
unattended or within the reach of small children.
Extinguish candles before you leave a room or go to bed.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas that
is produced by burning common fuels. In the home,
heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are
potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or
generators running in an attached garage or near a
window or door can also produce dangerous levels of
What is the Danger?
enters your body through breathing.
- CO posoning can be confused with the flu, food
and other illnesses. Symptoms
headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness, and
shortness of breath.
- Extremely high levels of CO can cause death within minutes.
A person can be poisoned by a small amount of
CO over a
long period of time or by a large amount of CO over a
short period of time.
If the CO
- Move outdoors
and account for everone in the home.
- Call 911 from the fresh-air location. Remain at the
fresh-air location until Emergency personnel arrive to
- If the alarm's trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries.
Carbon Monoxide Risk
- Have your
fuel burning home equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, wood
and coal stoves, space and portable heaters)
inspected by a
professional every year.
- Keep dryer, stove, furnace, and fireplace vents clear of ice,
snow, dirt, leaves, and other debris.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Only use barbecue grills and generators outside, away from all
doors, windows, and vent openings. Never use
them in the
home or garage or near building openings.
Posted: January 22, 2014